As a fundamental element in your daily life, it’s important to understand potential hazards in your water. While some contaminants can affect tastes and clarity, others can be far more detrimental to your family’s health. It’s important to understand the potential health risks in your water so you can evaluate and decide the best filtration option for you and your family.
If there are unwanted deposits in your water that you can see, a filtration system will work to remove the particles and improve the quality of your water.
In addition to visible particles, dissolved materials that cause aesthetic issues in your water, such as unpleasant taste and odor, will be removed by a quality filtration system.
All water filters require regular cartridge replacement and/or other maintenance in order to remain effective. Here are four things you need to know:
1. Many types of water filters, particularly carbon filters, contain cartridges that must be replaced periodically, usually every year.
2. A filter cartridge’s life span, also known as its capacity, is based on the amount of water that can flow through it before it needs to be replaced.
3. Most counter-top, faucet-mounted and under-the-counter filtration systems have greater capacity than pitcher filters.
4. How often you must change cartridges, and how much they cost, greatly affects the total annual cost of any system.
1. A filter cartridge contains a material, called the media, that “traps” contaminants and removes them from the water flowing through. Those impurities remain in the filter media.
2. Once the media in the cartridge is saturated, the filter can no longer remove contaminants and is effectively useless.
3. Bacteria may accumulate in older cartridges, potentially causing more harm than good.
1. Most filtration systems also rely on mechanical filtration to remove excess sediment and particulate matter from the water.
2. Too much trapped sediment may clog the system and lower the flow rate.
3. Depending on your filtration system, a good cleaning may solve the problem; in other cases a new cartridge may be necessary.
For professional help contact Integrity Plumbers.